If, like me, KFC gravy is one of your favourite fast food pleasures, this recipe means you can now make this tasty treat in the comfort of your own kitchen!
How much does it cost? This KFC gravy recipe cost me less than 50p per person.
What are the benefits? This dish makes a great takeaway alternative, is lower in fat than the real deal, and can be made completely veggie!
I don’t really venture into KFC anymore because their vegetarian options are basically non-existent, which is a shame because sometimes I get a real craving for an alternative to their delicious fried chicken – to quote Gavin and Stacey’s Smithy, “What is that secret blend of eleven herbs and spices, d’you think?”
Well, sadly I don’t have the answer to that question – although I do make a pretty mean southern fried chicken myself! – but I’ve managed to rustle up my own version of one of the fast food chain’s most popular side dishes; the KFC gravy!
It’s nothing like the deep, earthy gravy we pour over our roast dinners every Sunday. We’re talking about a very different kind of gravy here, with a thick, almost creamy consistency, more like a southern American gravy, and it’s incredibly moreish. Pour over your chicken, use as a dip for crusty bread, whatever you fancy – but prepared to want more as soon as you’ve lick the last drop from your plate!
1 Chicken or Vegetable Stock Pot (try to use the stock that’s more like a jelly rather than a solid dry cube, but if that’s all you have then that’s fine, but you might struggle with the consistency)
2 tbsp Butter or Margarine
3 tbsp Plain Flour
2 Mugs of Boiling Water
Most of the flavour comes from the stock cube, but you need a really decent crack of black pepper here to get that very subtle spice that you find in a KFC gravy.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE KFC GRAVY
1. Dissolve your stock pot or cube in 750ml (approx. 2 mugs) of boiling water.
2. Grab a large roasting tin or deep baking tray, place over a low heat on the hob, add your butter and gently melt it down to liquid.
3. Add 1 tbsp of your flour to the melted butter and stir well to combine – repeat with the second spoonful, then the third, until it forms a thick, grainy paste (it’s about to become much more appetising, I promise!).
4. Pour in a little of your stock and stir really, really well with the paste. Continue to slowly pour the stock, season with pepper and heat very gently as you combine it all together. It should become less grainy and much smoother, like the kind of thick gravy we’re looking for.
5. Turn up the heat just a touch until it’s more of a low-medium temperature, then allow the gravy to simmer for around five minutes. If you still feel like it needs to thicken up, add a little more flour and continue to stir until it dissolves into the mixture.
6. Remove from the heat when you’ve reached that silky consistency and it’s lovely and thick – but still pourable!
One thought on “RECIPE: Homemade KFC Gravy | #ThisGirlEats”
OMG I love KFC gravy even though it is so bad for you it tastes great. I am deffo going to give this a try next time I cook up some chicken.
GR | https://www.thegreat.uk